What does sustainability mean for us?
At Holy Brook we recognise the importance of sustainability and prioritise it in our decision making.
Here are a few aspects of how we view sustainability:
- Environmental Responsibility: Ensuring our actions minimise the negative impact on the environment and protect the environment for current and future generations.
- Social Responsibility: Ensuring our actions reflect in the best interests of society by promoting diversity, inclusivity and fairness for all.
- Ethical and Transparent Reporting: Refers to ensuring accurate, transparent and ethical reporting practices.
- Advisory Services: Refers to providing advisory services to our clients on integrating sustainability practices into their operations.
1. What measures do we have in place to ensure fair working practices for our team members?
- Accredited Living Wage Employer
- Regular “catch-up” conversations with Line Manager to ensure team members are given sufficient support to enable them to fulfill their role effectively.
- Compassionate Leave
- Maternity/Paternity/Parental/ Adoption Leave
- Time off for Family & Dependents
- Equality Policy
- Grievance Procedure
- Flexible Working
- We encourage team members to have a good work-life balance by offering them a flexible approach to hours worked to fit around other commitments.
- Equal Opportunities
- No unlawful discrimination against applicants and team members
- Ensure everyone is treated in a fair and unbiased manner.
2. What measures do we have in place to reduce our environmental impact as a business?
- Shared working environment
- Reduced physical waste (printing services, conference rooms, desks)
- Reduced waste in general
- Using re-useable mugs to reduce wastage.
- Recycling Scheme (paper and food)
- Using Trello (online organizational tool to visually plan and organise tasks to do,
reducing paper wastage by not writing to-do tasks on paper everyday)
- Electronic filing system for most clients (limiting use of paper)
- Reducing/Minimising carbon footprint
- Rachel – electric car
- All staff – public transport and walking
- We encourage hybrid working to minimise commuting
- Only sending emails when required
3. What measures do we have in place to operate in a socially responsible manner?
- Order lunch to the office from Shed Café (an independent sandwich & coffee shop) to support independent businesses.
- Free coffee from Anonymous Coffee (an independent coffee roaster) included in rent payments.
- Can go out to eat lunch or after work in nearby food places to support them.
- Provide accounting expertise to not for profit charities to enable them to continue their social mission.
- Charity of the Year – choosing charities that will benefit from our technical expertise.
- Supporting individuals
- Samun’s (our Senior bookkeeper) apprenticeship scheme
- Offering an internship through Reading Internship Scheme to University of Reading students.
4. Do we have any certifications or recognition for sustainable practices?
- Recognised by Connect Charity as one of their trusted partners. Connect Charity not only promote a CSR approach, but also encourage businesses to get accreditation.
- Ethical Reading Member
- SME Climate Hub
- Connect Reading Member
- Accredited Living Wage employer